Saddle Skills (8 to 13 years old)
Participants must be able to walk and trot independently without a leader. In this camp, riders will be challenged a bit more with exercises, such as posting trot, navigating over poles and around obstacles, memorizing patterns.
It is highly recommended that campers have completed at least two weeks of Saddle Camp (or equivalent riding camp) or are currently enrolled in a weekly riding lesson program.
- Arrival / Horse-play (9:00 am to 9:30 am)
- Wash up & snack
- Grooming & tacking
- 45-minute Riding lesson
- Lunch Time (12:00 pm to 1:00 pm)
- Stable management
- Wash-up & snack
- Recreational swim
- Home-time/free-play (4:00 pm to 4:30 pm)
Camper/Counsellor Ratio: minimum of 1 counsellor for every eight children. While on horse-back the ratio of staff to riders is 1:5.
Schedules are examples of a typical day, actual activities vary from day-to-day.
Clothing and Equipment
All riders must wear:
- ASTM approved helmet (helmets are available to rent)
- Long pants and riding boots OR boots with a small heel (Rainboots are acceptable as long as they have a 1.5cm heel)
- Rental Helmets are reserved for your child’s use ONLY throughout the week – the cost is $15+HST
Other items to bring to riding camp include:
- Shorts, sweatshirt or rain jacket
- Running shoes, extra socks
- Sun hat, sunscreen and water bottle
- Bathing suit, flip flops and towel